I used to hate rava idli as a kid. My mom used to make gits instant rava idli packet. I really hated the taste of it. When I found the recipe on Mullai’s Blog, I decided to give it one try to see if I like it. Tadaaa New love has been found. This recipe is easy to make as well as it is tastier than gits packet. I promise. Try it once and you will never go back to gits packet. Let’s get to the recipe now.
- Semolina 1 cup
- Baking soda 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt 1/2 cup
- Water 3/4 cup
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Channa dal
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Coriander Leaves 2 sprigs chopped
- Carrot 1/4 cup grated
- Green Peas 1/4 cup
- Green chillies 2 finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Cashews 6
Let’s make this:
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard, cumin seeds, bengal gam, split black gram and curry leaves followed by green chilies.
- Fry these for few seconds.
- Add the cashews to this and toast for a while.
- Now add the rava and fry over low flame for 5 minutes until it turns light golden.
- Remove this mixture and let cool completely.
- In a bowl , combine curd, water, baking soda and salt.
- Beat well to blend and then add roasted rava, grated carrot, green peas and chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix these together to idli batter consistency (You may add little extra water to bring to this consistency).
- Let it soak for 1/2 hour. I skip this step when I don’t have time and it still works.
- When done, grease the idli plates and pour a ladleful of batter and steam for 10 minutes.
- Switch off and let cool for few minutes before you remove from the plates.
- Enjoy with your family.
As usual, don’t forget to leave me a feedback once you try it. Always remember everything is good in moderation.
Don’t forget to check out other Indian Breakfast recipes from the archives.
Lots of love to you and your family. I will be back again with a new post next time.