2 pounds chicken with bones (If possible)
4 tbsp curd
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 and 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp biryani masala
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp shah jeera
1 inch cinnamon stick
hand full of dry peas soaked overnight and boiled in salt water (optional)
3 cups rice
2 tbsp oil
1 handful of fried onion ( I used store bought)
Few drops of red color mixed in water
6 tbsp of mint leaves
6 tbsp of coriander leaves
3 green chillies slit length wise
- Marinate the chicken in yogurt, turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder, biryani masala, ginger garlic paste and salt for 30 mts.
- Wash the rice and soak it for 30 mts.
- Take a big vessel, fill it with water and boil it.
- Add cardamon, cloves, cinnamon, shah jeera, oil and salt to the water.
- After it comes to boil, add the soaked rice.
- Let it cook for 10 mts exactly. Add peas to the water at this point.
- Drain the rice and keep it aside.
- In the big vessel pour the marinated chicken, spread it so that it will cover the base of the vessel completely.
- On top of chicken spread coriander leaves, mint leaves and green chillies,
- Add rice to it.
- Put color on top only in few places so that rice will look pretty.
- Keep the lid on and keep the heat less than medium.
- It will take app 20-30 mts for it to cook on low heat.
- After about 15 mts keep the heat at minimum and complete your cooking.
- While serving top with fried onion and wedge of lemon.
This goes to srivalli’s rice mela: