3 and 1/2 cups basmati rice
2 large tomatoes chopped
1/2 onion chopped
4 green chillies slit lengthwise
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
10 sprigs of coriander leaves chopped
1/2 tbsp jeera
1″ piece cinnamon
Pinch of turmeric
1 tbsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp biryani masala (optional)
7 tbsp oil
1 tbsp butter
6 and 1/2 cups water
- Soak rice for 30-45 mts.
- Heat the oil and butter.
- Add jeera, cardamon, clove and cinnamon.
- After they brown up a little, add onions, chillies and cilantro.
- Let the onion brown up a little and add ginger garlic paste.
- Fry for few seconds and turmeric and tomatoes.
- Keep the lid on and cook the tomatoes thoroughly.
- Add all the powders and fry for a minute.
- Add all the water.
- Boil for 1 or 2 mts and add rice.
- Keep the lid and cook the rice.
- Once the rice is almost cooked reduce the flame to low and complete the cooking.
- Enjoy with cool raitha and wedge of lemon.
This goes to srivalli’s rice mela: