During our college days, whenever we went out in the evening we would definitely have this from one particular shop. It used to be delicious and very fresh as they used to prepare right then and there. That taste still lingers on my taste bud. I tried to recreate the recipe. It was not perfect as the shop vendor’s but it is close and delicious.
1 medium cauliflower cut into medium sized florets
1/2 onion chopped
6 green chillies slit length wise
2 cloves of garlic chopped into small pieces
1 and 1/2 tbsp chopped ginger
10-12 sprigs of coriander leaves chopped
Pinch of ajinomoto
1/2 tsp + 1/4th tsp coriander powder
1/4th tsp + 1/4 tsp cumin powder
2 tbsp chilli powder
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric
Few drops of red color mixed in water
1 cup maida
1 cup corn flour
1 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup of chilli garlic sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
Oil for frying
- Prepare batter using corn flour, maida, rice flour 1 tbsp chilli powder, salt to taste, 1/4th tsp cumin powder, 1/4 th tsp coriander powder.
- Batter should be like pakoda batter consistency.
- Mix cauliflower florets in the batter and put one by one in the hot oil.
- Fry for 3 mts, drain and keep aside.
- Heat 4-5 tbsp of oil.
- Add cumin seeds.
- After they brown up, add onion, chillies, garlic, ginger and coriander leaves.
- Fry until onions are translucent.
- Add turmeric, 1 tbsp chilli powder, salt, 1/2 tsp coriander powder, 1/4th tsp cumin powder and pinch of ajinomoto.
- Mix everything once and fry for a minute.
- Add chilli garlic sauce and soy sauce.
- Fry for a minute and add red food color mixed in 3 tbsp of water.
- Mix everything once and add fried cauliflower florets.
- Mix everything and fry for 7-8 mts.
- Enjoy hot as evening snack or have it with peas rice like we did.