I can survive on this alone. Rasam is one of my favourites. This particular variety is so tangy and tasty that i can load unlimited amounts of it into my stomach. This is my mother in law’s recipe. Thanks to her me and my family enjoy it everytime i make it. I hope you will try it and enjoy it as much as we do.
Here goes the recipe:
Lemon sized ball of tamarind
2 medium ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup green onions
3 green chillies
2 cloves of garlic crushed
4 curry leaves
4 sprigs of coriander leaves chopped
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 red chillies
1/2 tsp rasam powder (any variety)
1/2 tbsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
Pinch of black pepper powder
Salt according to your taste.
4 tbsp of oil
- Cut tomatoes into big chunks and add it to a vessel.
- Add 2 curry leaves to the same vessel.
- Add tamarind paste, chilli powder, rasam powder, pepper powder, turmeric and salt to the vessel.
- Bring it to a boil on medium heat. Keep the rasam on medium heat for 15 mts.
- After 15 mts see if tomatoes are cooked and taste and see if it needs any thing.
- Adjust and keep on the low heat while you prepare the tadka.
- Heat the oil.
- Add jeera, mustard seeds and red chillies.
- After they splutter, add green onions, green chillies and remaining 2 curry leaves.
- Fry for a minute and add garlic, switch off the stove.
- Fry for few seconds and add pinch of turmeric.
- Mix everything in the rasam and bring rasam to a boil.
- Switch off the stove, garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy.