Today’s breakfast in our house is upma. Even though everyone prepares upma and are experts, I thought i should share my recipe with you all and my daughter (for whom i am writing this blog so that she will know how mom prepares things and put her own twist on it). So here it goes……
Ingredients: ( For 2-3 people)
1 1/2 cups sooji
1/4 cup onion
Small piece of ginger cut into small pieces
4 small green chillies
2 or 3 curry leaves
groundnuts and Channa dal (I use my own estimate so u decide how much u want)
6-7 tbsp of oil
salt to taste
- Heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add little bit of jeera and mustard seeds.
- After they splutter, add groundnuts and Channa dal.
- Fry for about 1- 11/2 mts. They usually become brown. Do not let them burn.
- Add the onions and chillies. Fry them until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the sooji. Fry for a minute or two.
- Add salt according to ur taste.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of water.
- Mix nicely so that there are no lumps.
- Keep the lid on. It usually takes 5-10 mts for rava to cook on medium heat.
- Mix it once and it is ready to be served.